Dr. Ashi Daftary is board-certified in the specialty of Obstetrics & Gynecology and also in the sub-specialty of Maternal-Fetal Medicine (High-Risk Pregnancy Care). He has practiced in these fields for over 35 years. Specific areas of expertise include caring for women with preterm labor and delivery; medical complications of pregnancy (e.g., diabetes, hypertension, etc.); multi-fetal pregnancies (twins, triplets, etc.); and complicated deliveries.
His educational background includes a BS in Physiology from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (Summa Cum Laude), and graduating from Washington University Medical School in St. Louis, MO (with a specialty award in Ob/Gyn). He completed his Ob/Gyn Residency at the Washington University Medical Center in St. Louis and his Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship at Magee-Women’s Hospital of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (Pittsburgh, PA).
Work and medical student/resident/fellow teaching experiences include the following:
- Active duty military (US Air Force, Travis AFB, CA) — director of the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine;
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Ob/Gyn, Washington University Medical Center—director of the Private Perinatal Group (Maternal-Fetal Medicine Group);
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Ob/Gyn and the Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center — including course directorship of the 2nd year University of Pittsburgh Medical School course “Reproductive and Developmental Biology”;
- Associate Professor in the Department of Ob/Gyn, Temple University Medical School and within the Allegheny Health Network, based in Pittsburgh, PA — including Ob/Gyn Clerkship directorship for 3rd and 4th-year medical students for several years;
- Director of Ob/Gyn and Maternal-Fetal Medicine Ultrasound within the Allegheny Health Network, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Teaching awards from medical students and Ob/Gyn residents at each of the above institutions.
Publications and Research
Dr. Daftary’s research experience includes work with the Magee-Women’s Research Institute (University of Pittsburgh) and the Allegheny Singer Research Institute (Allegheny Health Network). He has also been an active participant in two NIH-level multi-institution research networks. Dr. Daftary has published over 60 refereed articles in various high-level medical journals and four book chapters.