Table of Contents
- Seasoned Doctor Negligence Attorney in Philadelphia, PA Represents Victims of Physician Malpractice in Allegheny County, Philadelphia County, and Across Pennsylvania
- What is Physician Malpractice?
- We Handle All Types of Physician Malpractice Cases
- Schedule Your Free Case Review with a Trusted Philadelphia Physician Malpractice Lawyer Today
- Frequently Asked Questions About Physician Malpractice Claims in Philadelphia, PA
Seasoned Doctor Negligence Attorney in Philadelphia, PA Represents Victims of Physician Malpractice in Allegheny County, Philadelphia County, and Across Pennsylvania
Any healthcare provider can be held responsible for medical malpractice. However, patients tend to rely upon their physician’s advice and treatment most often. After all, it is your physician’s job to identify symptoms of more serious illness and determine the best course of treatment available. Physicians who specialize are expected to provide treatment that comports with the level of training they have received in a specialized field of medicine, such as cancer treatment or cardiology. At Baldwin Matzus, LLC, we believe that patients should be able to trust their physician’s advice and treatment. Competent medical diagnosis and treatment can spell the difference between full recovery and long-term health complications from an underlying condition. Each Philadelphia physician malpractice lawyer at Baldwin Matzus, LLC vigorously fights to hold negligent doctors financially accountable when their careless treatment harms patients.
If you suspect you were harmed by a physician’s negligence, having the best possible lawyer by your side can make all the difference to the success of your claim. Our award-winning Philadelphia medical malpractice lawyers have years of experience fighting to protect patient rights across Pennsylvania. We are here to put our proven track record of experience to work for you. To schedule your free case review, contact a respected Philadelphia physician malpractice lawyer at our firm today.
What is Physician Malpractice?
Physicians make judgement calls based on the information presented just like any other professional. Sometimes, bad medical outcomes occur even when the doctor makes all the right decisions. When doctors are careless or reckless in executing their duties, however, patients who suffer have the right to file a malpractice claim.
Physician malpractice can happen when a doctor:
- Fails to recognize your symptoms as a sign of a serious underlying condition
- Fails to refer you to a specialist
- Fails to take a complete medical history
- Prescribes the wrong drug or the wrong drug dosage
- Fails to run the tests necessary to diagnose your condition
Although a wide range of actions and omissions can be considered negligence, not every mistaken judgment or error in the recommended treatment plan is malpractice. The basic elements that we have to establish to file a claim for financial compensation based on physician malpractice are:
- The physician owed you a duty (duty is proven by establishing the doctor-patient relationship)
- The standard of care
- The physician made a mistake, and so breached their duty by failing to comply with the standard of care
- You suffered some kind of harm
- The physician’s mistake was the direct cause of your harm
The “standard of care” that a physician is required to satisfy is determined by medical experts. The relevant question is whether another reasonably trained, competent physician would have acted the same given the circumstances. Physician malpractice happens when a physician hurts a patient by failing to provide care in accordance with generally accepted standards developed within the medical profession.
We Handle All Types of Physician Malpractice Cases
At Baldwin Matzus, LLC, our experienced doctor negligence attorneys in Philadelphia, PA handle all types of cases involving physician malpractice. We have the expertise needed to handle even the most complex evidentiary issues involved in physician malpractice cases. You can schedule a free case review with a Philadelphia physician malpractice lawyer at our firm if you have been harmed because of malpractice committed by:
- Family doctor malpractice
- Cardiologist malpractice
- Surgeon malpractice
- Anesthesiologist malpractice
- Emergency room doctor malpractice
- Dermatologist malpractice
- Neurologist malpractice
- Nursing negligence
- Oncologist malpractice
- Orthopedic surgeon malpractice
- Pharmacist malpractice
- Pediatrician malpractice
- Psychiatrist malpractice
- Radiologist malpractice
- Urologist malpractice
Physician malpractice can kill. Some victims of physician malpractice may face a much longer, more painful road to recovery than necessary. Our primary goal at Baldwin Matzus, LLC is to win the compensation that accounts for every aspect of the harm you have suffered.
Fair compensation should account both for your past medical treatment and additional future medical care made necessary only because of your physician’s negligence. Additionally, we fight to win compensation for:
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Diminished quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of your loved one’s company or financial support
- Wrongful death damages if the physician negligence ultimately resulted in your loved one’s death
Our doctor negligence attorneys in Philadelphia, PA know that compensation does not really reimburse you for the loss of your health. It can, however, give you the means to get the best treatment available and function as a deterrent, holding careless physicians accountable. To learn more about your options if you think you were harmed by physician negligence, call a qualified Philadelphia physician malpractice lawyer at Baldwin Matzus, LLC today.
Schedule Your Free Case Review with a Trusted Philadelphia Physician Malpractice Lawyer Today
Our doctor negligence attorneys in Philadelphia, PA specialize in medical malpractice and personal injury cases because we are passionate about getting justice for victims that are harmed by negligence. Most physician malpractice cases are highly complex and require a detailed technical understanding of medical malpractice law in Pennsylvania. For decades, we have been successfully handling even the most complex physician negligence cases. To learn more about how we can help in your case, call us today so that we can get started on getting you the maximum available compensation.
Frequently Asked Questions About Physician Malpractice Claims in Philadelphia, PA
The medical standard of care is something of a moving target. Physicians are expected to act differently based on different sets of circumstances. To determine the relevant standard in your case, we analyze factors such as:
1. The opinion of a medical expert in the same field regarding the standard or a recommended course of treatment
2. The type of condition involved—including whether it involved a routine treatment plan or was a relatively rare condition
3. Your age and medical history
To some extent, even geographic location can play a role in establishing the standard of care. The key element is to determine what a reasonable physician would have done in your case—and compare that to what your physician actually did.
Possibly. In some cases, several different treatment options may be available. The physician’s choice may be clear. It may also be complicated by many different factors. Our lawyers will analyze your physician’s recommendations to determine whether any other reasonable physician would have agreed with your course of action. You may have the right to compensation if your physician’s recommendations were unreasonable given the circumstances.